What is ISO 14064?
ISO 14064 is an international standard against which GHG emissions reports are voluntarily verified. In parallel with the emergence of regulated or mandatory schemes relating to monitoring, reporting and verification of Greenhouse Gases (GHG), organisations outside of these schemes are now increasingly wishing to monitor and report their emissions (commonly referred to as the organisation’s carbon footprint). In response to this demand and to provide an international standard against which such reports can be voluntarily verified, ISO 14064 has been developed.
What does ISO 14064 Greenhouse Gas Emissions do?
ISO 14064 has been prepared in three parts:
- Part 1 details the principles and requirements for designing, developing, managing and reporting organisation level GHG inventories. It includes requirements for determining boundaries, quantifying emissions and removals, and identifying specific company actions or activities aimed at improving GHG management. It also includes requirements and guidance on quality management of the GHG inventory, reporting, internal auditing and the organisation's responsibilities for verification.
- Part 2 focuses on GHG projects or projects specifically designed to reduce GHG emissions or increase GHG removals. It includes principles and requirements for determining project baseline scenarios and for monitoring, quantifying and reporting project performance relative to that baseline and provides the basis for GHG projects to be validated and verified.
- Part 3 provides principles, requirements and guidance for those conducting GHG information validation and verification. It describes a process for providing assurance to intended users that an organisation's or project's GHG assertions are complete, accurate, consistent, transparent and without material discrepancies.
ISO 14064 benefits
ISO 14064 certification helps to deliver:
- Stakeholder engagement.
- Credibility and trust.
- Robust monitoring progress.
- Demonstrable commitment to reducing GHG emissions.
LRQA is at the leading edge of GHG verification services across a range of sectors and schemes world-wide. This places LRQA in a prime position to share experience and expertise to help clients manage their GHG data gathering, monitoring and reporting and gain robust third party verifications of their assertions.
LRQA have experience of validation and verification within both voluntary mechanisms such as ISO 14064 and the Japanese Voluntary Emissions Trading Scheme and regulated schemes at a national level such as the UK Emissions Trading Scheme, at regional level such as the EU Emissions Trading Scheme and at international level such as the UNFCCC Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and Joint Implementation. LRQA also have experience within other relevant areas of corporate report verification, including Corporate Sustainability and/or Environmental Reports.
Who Can Use ISO 14064 Greenhouse Gas Emissions?
Any organisation who wishes to monitor and report their carbon footprint.
How LRQA can help
Management systems are becoming increasingly linked to the success and survival of organisations. In parallel, CEOs and MDs worldwide are placing greater emphasis on the independent assessment that helps ensure management systems are 'fit for purpose'. Our unique methodology, LRQA Business Assurance, helps organisations manage their systems and risks to improve and protect their current and future performance. We provide certification and training across all of the major QMS standards.
For organisations with other standards, we can often offer integrated assessments, thus delivering savings on both time and money.