What is IATF 16949:2016?
In October 2016, the International Automotive Task Force (IATF) published a revised quality management system (QMS) standard specifically for the automotive industry, known as IATF 16949:2016.
This new standard, which is still based upon international QMS standard ISO 9001:2015, will supersede and replace the current ISO/TS 16949:2009. It defines the requirements of a quality management system for organisations in the automotive industry.
Who can use IATF 16949:2016?
As the new global industry standard, IATF 16949:2016 is relevant to all types of automotive supply organisations, from small manufacturers to multinational companies.
Why is IATF 16949:2016 important to your organisation?
From 14th September 2018, IATF 16949:2016 will become an essential requirement for any organisation operating in the global automotive supply chain. Many of the world's leading car manufacturers now make certification a contractual requirement for their suppliers.
Benefits of certification include:
- Recognition from regulatory authorities
- Safer and more reliable products
- Meeting or exceeding customer requirements
- Improved processes and documentation system
- Internationally agreed and recognised practices for quality management in the automotive sector
- A model for continual and systematic improvements in quality
- A common language for dealing with business customers and suppliers worldwide
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness
- A model for delivering excellence for customers and other stakeholders
How LRQA can help
Management systems are becoming increasingly linked to the success and survival of organisations. In parallel, CEOs and MDs worldwide are placing greater emphasis on the independent assessment that helps ensure management systems are ‘fit for purpose’. Our unique assessment methodology helps organisations manage their systems and risks to improve and protect their current and future performance. We provide certification and training across all of the major standards. For organisations with other standards, we can often offer integrated assessments, thus delivering savings on both time and money.